HomeProjectsNewsArchiveMore about AIBT

< Back to Project List

Ram Hill Colliery

A brief history

The Ram Hill Colliery, near Coalpit Heath, was one of the main local collieries supplying coal to Bristol at the height of the Industrial Revolution between 1830 and 1860. It is located at the head of the Dramway, the lower end of which was at Londonderry Wharf, Keynsham. The significance of the site toady is that there are visible remains of the Dramway loading bays, the mineshaft, a horse gin and the engine house. It is possible that traces of a stone-lined reservoir and of the boiler house exist. A group of volunteers ‘Friends of Ram Hill Colliery’ was formed in summer 2004 to oversee the colliery’s restoration.

< Back to Project List